Adopt your own Furry Deviant

Monday, September 21, 2009

The story of Pilgrim






So here is the story of Pilgrim.  I was nearing the end of my rope with Animal control. Three years as Vet Tech supervisor and another 3 as rescue foster coordinator. Management just had an overhauled and the city brought in some accountants or such from City Hall that had ZERO animal experience to run the place.  It was a shit show. It had turned total politics and I had been moved to a satellite location to “supervise” which basically made it impossible to do the job I was hired for. 

 The entire operation was being run by an accountant with no animal experience, a vet who was not even smart enough to go to school in the USA with a huge chip on her shoulder and no skills or confidence to get those.  An illiterate redneck with the inability to bath or tell the truth had also been given too much power, but I digress.

A group of 5 emaciated, flea infested, terrified Great Danes had been dumped by an owner who was moving. Not much more info was given because they claimed to not speak English.  One was in such bad shape he was immediately put to sleep.  One was deemed aggressive and put on the “bad” run.  The rest were started on the process of rescue/adoption.  I spent several hours over the course of several days evaluating them & getting them ready.  It took 3 days to get close to the ‘aggressive” one. I spent my lunch and breaks sitting in the front of his run and tossing treats his way. I was met with vicious barking and growling but body language that showed he was terrified.  After about 3 days I was finally able to get a leash on him. Once out of the shelter noise, I realized he was terrified, absolutely terrified with some barrier aggression thrown in.  

 Long story short, I had rescue lined up to evaluate them. The rescue was new and not too experienced but trying.  The day they came to evaluate the dogs I was out “supervising”.  They agreed to take a few of them but decided against the “aggressive” one.  I was not worried; I had 2 other groups interested in him.

I happened to come by the shelter the next day, a Saturday.  I would not usually have been there as I got up early that morning to do a regular spot on the morning news then usually left, however I needed to catch up on some stuff.  I just happened to walk down the hall and there was the “aggressive” Dane being drug toward the euthanasia room on a catch pole. I freaked.  After stopping them I was told that smelly illiterate redneck had ordered him put to sleep when I was not there because she thought I was wasting my time and didn’t want to wait for another group to come. She told them to do it Saturday when I was away "supervising". 

I’ll spare you the details but I took the “aggressive” dog, sent an email to my boss to tell them to “KISS IT” and left without a second thought.  I left the career I had always wanted, civil service &; union benefits, full medical benefits and a great salary and I’ve never regretted it.

Pilgrim has his host of issues, both physical & mental.  He took 6 months to housebreak. He was scared he would not be allowed back in the house. He has eaten nearly every piece of furniture in my house, but I have never seen a dog so grateful.  It took a while but he is happy.  He smiles when he goes to the park. He does a happy dance from the joy of running around outside. (we just need to work on the part where he added body slam to happy dance.)  He has learned to play with toys.  He is gentle and delicate with the smaller animals and cats.  He lets Jelly Legs have treats first.  He waits his turn to eat and go outside.  He walks up to strangers and asks to be petted, so much for being mean.  As for the aggression, it’s gone until it counts.  He guards me where it counts; no one is getting in the house or in his van. 
He is truly a dog happy for the little things in life, a bed, a couch, going for a walk, a romp in the park and a gentle pet on the head.(and maybe a coffee table or a set of blinds)

(www.furrydeviants.blogspot.com)



0 comments: